Thanks for checking out Mick’s Neon Fog. I’m Mick.
I’m a regular guy trying to make a career as a writer. Writing what?
There’s a novel in progress, a handful of short-stories being sent out to magazines, and a growing collection of prose-poetry that you can find here, for free, because giving it away for free is what the internet is all about.
Before I get into anything else, I feel like I should introduce myself a bit more, so here is a short list of things that I don’t understand:
- People who are always showing me things that they’ve bought
- Why I was supposed to understand my life when asked “what are you going to major in?”
- People who are comfortable repeating the same tasks in the same building for 30 years
- Why those people call their monotonous decades their career
- Politicians who don’t mention liberty, or aren’t serious when they do mention it
Why prose poetry?
Because you can pack a lot of emotion into short works of poetic prose. Writing prose poetry is more cathartic than the best rock show.
If you need an actual definition for prose poetry, Poets.org provides a good primer on the form.
Also, there’s a great critique of prose poetry by David Foster Wallace that ends up defining what makes a good work of prose poetry good.
A few notes on what you can find here
Prose poems are quick to produce, spur-of-the-moment and with a good kick to the chest. They’re quick to read. In about the time it takes you to listen to your favorite song, you can read a prose poem that hopefully elicits just as strong a reaction.
Prose poetry is great for the internet, browsing on your phone on the train, or on your laptop in the library when you don’t feel like studying. It’s the medium deciding the form.
Prose poems are the main attraction, but you’ll also find those typical personal blog-type posts that read like journal entries. Those are fodder to make sure the site stays towards the top of search engines. I still enjoy writing them, and I hope you get a kick out of reading them. And as always, it’s great when you leave thoughts at the bottom of the posts.
A Short, Bulleted-List Biography
- I played a lot of football growing up
- I spent a while hitchhiking around
- I currently have a desk job
- I can’t wait for the day that I tell my manager I’ve scored a book deal and will be promptly retiring from my desk job
- If I could go back and re-do college, I would’ve drank a lot less and would’ve majored in English and Philosophy (but still would’ve hitchhiked during summer breaks)
You can also show your support by following me on Twitter, @MickHugh_ ( that’s Mick Hugh underscore), to help you stay up-to-date on recent posts and to chat about books. I’m also on DeviantArt, at BMickHugh.
Feel free to contact me, questions and conversations are always enjoyed. You can send an email to BMickHugh@gmail.com.
Thanks again for reading,
– Mick Hugh